Ask the experts. We have compiled the most frequently asked questions regarding the Katy Trail. Still have questions? Contact Us.
Absolutely! Leashed dogs are allowed on the full length of the Katy Trail and can offer fantastic company. One item to consider is that for those partaking in longer journeys, your pets paws should be considered. A solid set of dog shoes will keep your pooch happy.
Absolutely! The Katy trail is used by roughly 400,000 per year with minimal incidents. Like any outdoor adventure, some simple actions can reduce threats.
• Let someone know when you are using the Katy Trail, where you are traveling, and when you will return.
• Wear sunscreen. Some sections of the trail offer shade while others may not offer cover for a mile or more.
• Invest in a good insect repellent in warm months. Nothing will tarnish a good adventure like a tick or mosquito encounter.
• If you are not an expert of identifying poisonous snakes do not approach them or venture into areas of tall grass where they may be hiding. August tends to be be the most active times for snakes in Missouri so do not be surprised to see one sunbathing along the trail.
• Carry some form of dog repellent. Some rural areas along the trail have dogs off leash.
• If you think you brought enough water, bring more. The trail can heat up fast and water will often be miles away.